Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ramadam Kareem

With the sighting of the moon on Monday evening, Ramadan started in Somalia as well as in the rest of the world (except India where it started on Tuesday 2nd September I was told).

"When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of the Kingdom of Heaven are opened. The gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained up in Hell” explained my colleague.

“I like that “I said "Did the local imam announce the exact moment he saw the moon to announce that Ramadan had started? "-No-he replied: but Hormuud [a Somali mobile phone company] sent a text message at midnight saying that Ramadan has started".

Yeap….we are in a new age. The start of Ramadan is no longer announced by the local imam, but by the local mobile phone company....

May the Almighty grant us the blessings in this month and make it a month of peace, patience and spiritual growth. Amen.

No comments: