Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gold fever

In a bid to distract myself and reach out to a topic that normal people talk about in casual conversations I decided to have a peek at the Olympics games. After watching the women’s gymnastics a few days ago, I almost needed sedation. All those little tiny girls with sparklying and utterly inappropriate make up looking so defiant yet fragile and young!! All those creepy coaches who say “THERE IS ONLY ONE COLOR FOR OUR TEAM: GOLD. Right there and then I freaked out…I started thinking what the faith of a looser would be. Would she be hauled off to a prison camp or in front of a firing squad or condemned to forced labor for the rest of her life.

There was something deeply joyless about those tiny little girls and something really wrong about the rhetoric of the competition. I felt I wanted to take all of them up, put them in my pocket, and take them away. We would go somewhere nice, where they could play....have a pizza ….and a strawberry milkshake. After that we would have a pyjama party during which we will review the principles of age-appropriate make-up application.

2 comments:

Demonio Pellegrino said...

On top of that, I would add that if they are 16, then I am 18 myself.

Unknown said...

Olympics did have some spark and some phenomenal stuff.
Now the great debate is, was it Michael Phelps or Usain Boltw who gave the 08 Olympics a buzz. Now let us not forget that Olympics is about the sport and ceremonies aside, we need to identify the highlight/star of the Beijing 2008.

These were Usain's Games, and beyond that, Jamaica's.

Nothing could ever top what he did in the 100m, 200m and the relay. Even the other athletes only seemed to want to talk about him.
I guess if Usain could run backwards and sideways he'd do it.
You need superheroes--for that let's go to Phelps, or is he?
BTW Engald when are you planning on inviting Usain for an interview?