Thursday, August 14, 2008

Office gossips

What do you do on a rainy day while having lunch in the office with the girls??? Gossips of course...and yesterday we ended up having an hilarious conversation comparing some of the better stories we had to listen (and unfortunately, had to believe) for not receiving that eagerly awaited phone call or visit from our men while working in the field ...(and for reference.... we are no Amish people...just aid workers):-)

"Sorry, but my hut was flooded and the satellite phone died."

"I can't get there today, the UN planes are undergoing the regular maintenance."

“I think I am developing malaria.”

"I can't drive back to the Capital today, the river is too high to cross and the car got stuck in the mud when we tried yesterday."

"There are rebels attacking our town, we can’t move out of the UN compound."

"There's a 24-hr curfew in the city because of the riots."

"I'll come see you next week. I've just got to finish the food distribution to 50,000 refugees first."

And finally, my favorite:

“The cease-fire has been breached we expect major population movement-We've got to be here!!”

I think we can safely assume that from the mountains of Armenia to the lowlands of Zimbabwe via the desertic areas of Chad romance and ass-*holing are alive and kicking.

No comments: